Saturday, December 12, 2009

What a W@?#!?ful Life!


___________________________

Sweltering summer of discontent*:
Thought I slew you
Last winter,

Thought I buried your body
In my mental graveyard
And threw out the body bag.

Why then
does your stench
Rise like a chimney’s smoke,
Like a bloody phoenix’s black ashes
And take wing?

Why do you sell memories like
Toys on Christmas morning
And rub the money
In my face?

I want out of this body!
Why can’t he who did
Not ask to be born
Ask to die?

What use has the world
For such questions,
For such candor,
For such despair?

The man would’ve jumped
In had the
Flailing angel not
Almost drown.

Where is this drowning man?

I will give him his
Wings.


*Line borrowed from Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech.

--121209--

No comments: